Saturday, April 22, 2017

IRON FIST SEASON 1 - (SPOILERS AHEAD)

I Finally got through Iron Fist season 1.

I say finally because for the first time ever, it felt like a chore instead of something to look forward to.
When the show first started, I got a big Kung-Fu (the tv shows) vibe. Danny knew how to take guys down with very little effort, spent most of the time dodging attacks and side stepping, was very calm and peaceful, and seemed like a likable albeit naive character.
The first episode very much set up the season like that and IF that had been how the show went, I think it would have been a perfect way to show Danny Rand's character.
Then he gets locked up in a nuthouse because (shockingly) running around saying "I'm Danny Rand", and when people ask you to prove how you could be a presumed dead kid...responding with "but I AM Danny Rand" didn't work. And we start the shitty writing and story decisions that in my opinion ruined the show.
He starts showing wild anger outbursts (unbecoming of someone trained my monks in a monastery for 15 years) and because of that, we're introduced to lazy writing 101.
Turns out, when Danny is not 100% focused, he can't summon the Iron Fist.
Funny enough, not being focused means "when the writers don't want to bring a superhero element to a superhero show".
So we get excuses like he can't use it when he's drugged, stressed, having mommy/daddy flashbacks, etc.
But not always. Sometimes he can be having a complete freak out from stress and summon the damn thing. It's literally lazy writing.
From there on, we are subjected to the next 11 episodes of a man who trained in a Buddhist temple for 15 years, but has the temper of a 3-year-old! Seriously, what the hell were they going for? Did they actually think this would make his character likable?
Danny was one of my least favorite characters in the show (due to bad writing).
My two favorite characters were Colleen Wing, and Ward Meachum (which surprised me).
Both of those characters had the most character development throughout the season and were actually very interesting and relatable.
The fight scenes were...fine, I guess.
Iron Fist in the comics was the equivalent of Bruce Lee with super powers.
You know you screwed up when Daredevil is shown to be a better martial artist and takes on more than 2 guys at a time, than the friggin Iron Fist!
My personal favorite episode was when he was going through Madam Gao's challenge. The fights were interesting and unique, and they wrote Danny's character well....until the end when Gao mentioned his dad and instantly he's back to being a child again losing focus.
I also really liked the fight between Danny and Zhou Chen. I mainly like this fight because Zhou Chen was using drunken boxing....and I LOVE that style!
Also, I'm sorry, but I HATED the ending. The whole "Harold is the one who actually had your father killed" thing felt very tacked on at the last minute. I mean it seemed obvious from the first episode, but in terms of the story path they set up, it came out of left field.
And once again, Danny learns nothing. He rages around on a rooftop while Harold shoots at him, only for Ward to shoot and kill his father finally. Sure Danny chooses not to kill Harold, but in the end, Danny had no real development.
Oh and then they try to set up a couple of cliffhangers like they're gonna get a second season.
Not with the job you did on season 1 you're not!
When they do the Defenders with different writers, I hope they take the time to fix Danny's character and start his friendship with Luke Cage. Then you can give them both a season two at the same time called "Heroes for Hire" just like the comics.
AND GIVE DANNY HIS DAMN MASK!


If I had to sum Iron Fist season 1 up in one word, it would be
"DISAPPOINTING"
The show had a lot of potentials, and I don't blame any of the actors involved. Different actors wouldn't have made the writing better.
Here's hoping better things for the future of this once great character.
4/10

Written by:
Matt Hollands

No comments:

Post a Comment