Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Living, Working & THRIVING With Vitamin Deficiencies

For anyone that has, or is starting a business from the ground up, can tell you it takes a lot of hard work, determination and stamina to succeed. Which is why today I decided to open up and talk to you about something I have lived with for a long time. I have a B12 and iron deficiency. Before I was FINALLY diagnosed, there were so many days where I could barely find the energy to move out of bed. It seemed like a never ending battle of wits with my own brain and body to function normally! I have learned not only to deal with it, but to live somewhat successfully with it, while creating, maintaining and just plain living life.

Let's start off with a little bit of facts shall we!? Some facts about Vitamin B12 and iron deficiencies. 

The symptoms tend to be very similar between the two of them, leaving diagnosis up to blood tests. B12 deficiency symptoms are things such as changes in personality/depression, irritability, abnormal sensations ( it's quite common to have my limbs start to tingle and feel numb ), psychosis, changes in reflex, decreased taste, poor muscle function, reduced heart functions, and decreased fertility. Some symptoms of an iron deficiency are as follows: fatigue, dizziness, pallor ( abnormally pale skin ), hair loss, twitching, irritability, weakness, pica (Persistent craving and compulsive eating of nonfood substances ), brittle or grooved nails, and restless leg syndrome. As you can see, there are several symptoms of these deficiencies that can be pretty dangerous. For example, for me personally, I am and have always been very prone to dizziness and fainting, losing the feeling in my legs and arms can be very common at times as well. The Causes for these deficiencies can be so small. The main cause I have found is purely diet, medicinal, and heredity. thankfully 2 of those 3 can be fixed. Having an iron and B12 deficiency can be even more dangerous for a child than an adult. If it's not caught in time it can lead to anemia. As far as I know these blood tests are not common practices for kids, and these symptoms are so common for so many other illnesses. 

I think though even after years of stubbornness, and not wanting to take vitamins every day or the simple and plain "I forgot, OH WELL" mentality, I am coping pretty well with my deficiencies, I think. I take a multivitamin, a B12 supplement , and an iron supplement everyday. What happens if I forget to take my vitamins for a day or two!? You can count on pretty much zero productivity from me. I can't concentrate my depression kicks in pretty hard core, I also tend to sleep a lot more than usual. It will usually take something like my husband reminding me, to get me back on track. 

Sometimes the simplest things can be the hardest battles to fight. Are you fighting any battles!? Let me know in the comments below. Also I'd love to hear from you if you have any tips or recommendations for helping with B12 and  Iron deficiencies as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment